Sentences Selected from the News
1. Nowadays, in Taiwan, as the red-hot elections are drawing near, not only the politicians are becoming crazy but also the whole society appears to be in a state of malaise(病態).
2. The island has plunged into(陷入) a situation where justice is not existent(司法蕩然無存) nor is the black and white distinguishable(黑白不分).
3. Most stunning(驚嚇的) is the ◆fact that highly educated medical doctors have also become irrational and ludicrous(不理性及可笑的), eager to find justification(正當性) for their misbehavior(不當行為).
4. Taiwan's Nationalist party(國民黨) has won key mid-term elections(重要的期中選舉)seen as a test of the popularity of the president(黨主席滿意度的測試). The Kuomintang (KMT) party and its allies (指泛藍)won 17 of the 23 constituencies(縣市) after a campaign focused on allegations of corruption(貪污) in the ruling party(執政黨).
5. A woman who introduced herself as the mother of two sisters says she has thought of killing herself and her daughters several times because of the hardship of their lives but she could not find the courage.
6. Jacky Wu(吳宗憲), a popular television entertainer, apologized again for an anti-Islam gaffe (失言；失態)yesterday to end a dispute with Taiwan's Muslim community. He offered his "sincere" apology to the Muslims(回教徒) before Chao Hsi-lin(趙錫麟), chairman of the Chinese Muslim Association(中國回教協會理事長), at a press conference at the Taiwan Television Enterprise(台視公司).
7. Premier Frank Hsieh(謝長廷) yesterday announced a plan to form an independent committee(獨立委員會) from the private sector(民間) to conduct a thorough investigation into all possible scams(偷工減料)involving the construction of the mass rapid transit (MRT) system in Kaohsiung City(高雄捷運).
8. A senior Iraqi official said Wednesday that "intelligence and security efforts" were under way to win the release of Western hostages, while kidnappers reportedly extended a deadline for the threatened killing of four captive peace activists.
9. A Peruvian(秘魯) woman spent a month in a male prison in Argentina(阿根廷) after she was mistaken for a man. And, when she was finally discovered and transferred to a women's jail, she asked to be transferred back. According to police in Buenos Aires, Mrs Aguilera was checked by several policeman but none noticed she was a woman.
10. A German church group has caused controversy by releasing a calendar using nude models(裸体模特兒) to portray bible scenes(描述聖經故事場景). The calendar, on sale for £8 in the Katzwanger church in Nuremburg, contains photos such as a naked Eve(裸體夏娃) holding an apple between her breasts for Adam(亞當).