Sentences Selected from the News
＊ 紐約時報學習網 (老師專頁 / 學生專頁)
1. Sun Yat-sen(孫逸仙), seen as the father of modern China, is a politically acceptable figure(人物) on both sides of the strait(海峽兩岸).
2. Vice President Lu(呂秀蓮) also called for(要求) reinvestigation of the March 19, 2004 shooting(319槍擊事件) of her and President Chen so that "all facts will be known."(真相大白)
3. Tens of thousands(數以萬計) of opposition supporters waved banners and shouted slogans in the streets of Taipei yesterday to protest President Chen Shui-bian's termination(終結) of a government council responsible for unification with rival China.
4. Forget the Mao suits(毛裝) of a generation ago. Actually, forget about any clothes at all. Naked wedding photos are the hot new trend among young couples in once deeply conservative China(保守的中國).
5. Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said Wednesday he would consider stepping down temporarily, but continued his political maneuvering against opponents who ＊demand he step down for alleged corruption and abuse of power(貪污濫權).
6. Japan has confirmed its 23rd case of mad cow disease. The bull, reared at a farm on Japan's northernmost main island of Hokkaido, was killed on Monday and tested positive for mad cows in a routine test on Wednesday, the ministry said in a statement.
7. A U.S. State Department official repeated Tuesday Washington's ◆expectation that Taiwan will stick to its commitments with regard to the country's cross-Taiwan Strait policy. Deputy spokesman Adam Ereli made the comment in response to remarks by President Chen Shui-bian during a recent interview with the Washington Post(華盛頓郵報).
8. Tony Blair(英國首相布萊爾) is set to defend his controversial school reform plans for England after relying on Tory votes to get a controversial Bill through(通過). MPs(members of Parliament) voted by 458 votes to 115 in favour of plans to give schools more control over admissions and budgets.
9. Dutch(荷蘭) police mistook a woman who was about to give birth for a drunk driver. Officers stopped a female driver in The Hague(海牙) because she was making strange movements and they thought she was drunk.
10. The new Iraqi parliament holds its inaugural session(首次會議) on Thursday, three months after the country's first general elections for a new assembly. The opening(開幕) had been postponed after disagreements over who should fill the top political jobs. However, unresolved differences between the parties are likely to delay the formation(組成) of a new government.