Sentences Selected from the News
＊ 紐約時報學習網 (老師專頁 / 學生專頁)
1. Bird flu in Myanmar(緬甸) is more serious than originally thought, with 100 outbreaks detected in the country since the deadly avian virus was first confirmed last month.
2. A Vietnamese man accused of raping a 17-year-old girl whom he met over the Internet has surrendered(自首) to police, state-controlled media reported Tuesday.
3. A former elementary school teacher who spent six months in jail for having sex with a 13-year-old student was arrested again, this time for violating probation(緩刑) by apparently communicating with the victim.
4. A 14-year-old girl dancing at a friend’s birthday party was shot through a window by someone in the back yard and died in her sister’s arms.
5. Venezuela’s President(委內瑞拉總統) Hugo Chavez on Sunday threatened to expel(驅逐) the U.S. ambassador and blamed him for triggering protests(引發抗議) in which his car was pelted(投擲) with tomatoes and eggs.
6. An unarmed intruder with a history of jumping the White House fence was subdued at gunpoint on Sunday after entering the grounds of the executive mansion while President George W. Bush was at home.
7. As many as 2 million people may rally across the U.S. Monday against an immigration reform bill(移民法的改革法案) passed by the House of representatives(美國眾議院) that impose stiffer penalties on illegal immigrants.
8. Some teachers say the quality of teaching will decrease if teachers are forced to compete with each other for money and praise. They fear that teachers will refuse to work in schools where many children have learning problems or do not speak English well.
9. A Chinese village splashed out on a fish banquet(魚宴) for more than 200 cats to thank them for their hard work. Residents of Sanjiang, in Guangdong province(廣東省), wanted to thank the cats for eradicating rats(消滅老鼠) from their farms. The move was a success and villagers decided to reward the cats for the good harvest they expect this year as a result.
10. Google(谷歌搜尋) has launched its Chinese service. Chief executive Eric Schmidt said that sales growth "will obviously be large" and Google expects to have thousands of software engineers working in China. He also said that Google had no choice but to(別無選擇) accept restrictions if it wanted access to China's internet market. The number of internet users in China is set to top 187 million in two years.